1. Don’t go near the oven when it’s hot – it will melt your wig! Seriously. When you open the oven door, let the steam escape. Tie up your hair when you cook. Better yet, get someone else to do it for you! haha.
2. Don’t EVER use a normal hair brush (such as a boar’s hair brush, a soft hairbrush with lots of bristles, you know the kind), on your hair. It’s the worst thing you could do. It will take the finish off and traumatize it. The lustre will be gone and it will be very frizzy.
3. Don’t OD on product. It’s not necessary! Synthetic hair has a shine to it and looks beautiful and soft. Product, especially applied dry, will gunk up the wig, causing friction when you brush it, and creating even more dryness and frizziness.
4. When you wash it, DO use Jon Renau Wig Conditioning Spray generously. It’s beautiful stuff, making it soft, supply and shiny. Make sure you get all the shampoo out by rinsing well and always use COLD WATER.
5. DO brush with fingers. This is a gentle way to get the tangles out. You can brush with fingers a few times a day, and then brush it with a hairbrush every day or two or as needed (sometimes twice a day).
I am wearing my beautiful customized wig by wigsbypattispearls.com. It’s the Jon Renau Zara in color 4/27/30. (She does the customization for free!).
I gotta add that I found this fun post on the dos and don’ts of wearing wigs. It’s good stuff! Keep in mind though that if you get a customized wig a lot of this stuff won’t apply – like going to the stylist. Do if you want to change the style but if you get it customized then it’s already, well, customized.
Also change it every week? We’re not talking 20-30 dollar wigs here. I mean they are but I’m not. No way I’m gonna change my wig every week!
But it’s a really fun article on wearing synthetic wigs nonetheless. My favorite part was this is not your aunt Betsie’s wig hidden away at night like some secret. Modern women embrace wearing wigs as fashionable, fun and totally doable. 🙂 Plus wigs have come a long way in the last couple decades making them a great choice if you want to change your hairstyle or for women with hair challenges. 🙂
One more thing – I have a facebook Like page!! Like it if you ever read this, I would do the same for you. Thanks!